Sunday, March 4, 2012

"now, remember, it is better to look up"

My attention was called back today, on a talk given in the last General Conference by Elder Carl B. Cook, called "It Is Better To Look Up."

If you haven't read/heard it, or it's been a while, I suggest reading it today--http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/it-is-better-to-look-up?lang=eng.

The message is so wonderful. Our Savior loves us, and is simply waiting for us to reach out to Him for help and guidance.

In church, we were asked to think first, "what makes you discouraged?" There are so many things in life that are hard, so many things that get us down, and it happens to everyone.

We all face trials.

Everyone is fighting a hard battle.

The point was made that when people have issues with praying, it is because they have forgotten or do not fully comprehend their relationship with the Lord.

We need to constantly and actively be seeking Him. Elder Cook says that when President Monson told him to look up, it was symbolic for remembering Christ. The only perspective that gives us hope, is up.

When we are sad and feeling discouraged, when our hearts are heavy and we feel burdened, it is easy to hang your head, and look to the floor. But, think of the limitations.

A sister pointed out, when you look to the ground, that's it, you can see everything, you see where it ends; there is no depth. But when you look up towards the sky, towards heaven, your perspective reaches up into infinity--a perspective eternal.

It reminds us that we as humans, can't see how it ends, that there is so much more that the Lord has in store for us. The sky is bright, and when we are constantly looking up, it directs the attention of those who know us and see us to look up as well.

My roommate stated that "we know we can look to Christ, and with that knowledge comes the responsibility to do so."

Christ suffered in Gethsemane for the very purpose of taking on Himself our every hurt, our every struggle or disappointment, that He can relate to us and comfort us in a way that no one else can, because He felt exactly the same.

I so often forget that.

Things can get hard, and I'll admit, I've felt at times like I have lost some direction in my life.

But I was reminded again, that my Savior knows. He has felt what I've been feeling, and I need to let Him help me. Another girl quoted her grandma in saying "the only time to look down, is to raise someone else up." That's what the Lord does for us. He raises us and carries us. As I'm writing this, the poem comes to mind that my parents always had hanging in their bedroom:

The church is so true. I love it with all my heart, and I love my Savior.

MATTHEW 11:28-30: "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light"

No comments:

Post a Comment