Tuesday, November 12, 2013

gingers don't have soul(mate)s

""Soulmates" are fiction and an illusion; and while every young man and young woman will seek with all diligence and prayerfulness to find a mate with whom life can be most compatible and beautiful, yet it is certain that almost any good man and any good woman can have happiness and a successful marriage if both are willing to pay the price." (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, p.305)

I want to start this blog by saying that I am not disagreeing with the prophets' stance on this subject. I agree with and support their words wholeheartedly. The following blog is merely an idea that I would like to present.

My whole life, I have been taught and believed that in the pre-mortal existence, we picked our families. We chose who our siblings would be, who we wanted to parent us, those we wanted to love and be sealed to for time and all eternity.

So hold on to that concept for a moment..

chose my parents.

Which means, I elected two spirits who would be married, that wanted 10 children, that would birth me. But how did I know that my parents would be the two that would find each other and be my mom and dad? Well, here's the kicker--I believe that each of us, as spiritual beings, chose someone we wanted to find in this life. Someone to be our "soul mate." That being said, we are taught time and time again that there is no such thing as the "right one" because if two righteous people want to get married, and put the Lord first, they can make it work. My theory is not that you chose one person in heaven, and that is the person you are destined to be with. I believe that we all chose someone we wanted to be with, that we could potentially find.

Think about your patriarchal blessing--the promises in that are not guaranteed. You must work and seek and strive to be worthy of receiving them. Similarly parallel, is the fact that if you mess up, but you truly repent, you don't just miss out on all those blessings, you receive different ones, or even the same ones at a different time. We all have the potential to find that person that we selected. I say potential, because nothing is set in stone, there is no law that we must find that person, and I believe many won't, due to choices made on one or both sides. If I picked my spirit hubby, but he came to this life and thought it'd be a fun idea to be an ax-murderer, or if I had it in my head to change my plumbing and become a man, neither of us would just be out of luck. That's silly. In such scenarios where it is impossible for the two people to meet and marry each other, there are at least a few other prospects that will make you perfectly happy, that you can love with your heart of hearts, someone who can become your soul mate. Not to say that if you were to find this pre-mortal love, it would all be rainbows and butterflies, because as humans, it is our innate nature to have weaknesses, and you will have to learn to accept as well be as accepted for your flaws. However, since you get along better with some people than others, the same can be said that one person can make you happier than someone else.

The hopeless romantic in me secretly wishes that those couples who tell you they "just knew" their spouse was the one they wanted to marry are those who found each other on this life, after promising in the life before. Maybe, just maybe.


On a completely different note, this is a thing: Hot Girls, Ugly Faces




also, it's my birthday in 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment