Thursday, September 19, 2013

insubordinate, and churlish

So I fast tracked high school. I graduated in November of 2010, and spent the remainder of my would-be senior year working as a substitute teacher. Then when I moved to Utah, I found employment working as a sub on and off and have done so for about 2 and a half years. I absolutely adore teaching kids, and hands down my favorite to teach are middle and high schoolers. They are mostly super awkward, and it's just really funny to point out their awkwardness.

Maybe it's easiest to control the older ones because they always think I'm much cooler than they are, so they tend to be submissive. Maybe our maturity level is the same so we can all relate. Whatever. Either way, (and I say this in the most humble but also factual way possible) I adore teaching those kids, and they absolutely love me. I have a folder of notes and pictures from kids, and a list of all the ridiculous things I've been told, but those are for another time.

In this post, I just want to say, thank you. In my many days of subbing, when trying to decide how to be better, how to teach and touch the lives of these children, I haven't looked to past teachers that have influenced my life for the better, rather I have one role model. One person that I aspire to be like. In following the footsteps of this man, I feel I can truly reach my full potential as the super, ultra substitute teacher of the century:





Mr. Garby--you inspire me.

No comments:

Post a Comment