Monday, November 5, 2012

and it starts, sometime around midnight

LESSON 8: THE HEAT OF ANTICIPATION

Alright, to be frank, this one isn't so much of a lesson. But it's something I've been thinking a lot about recently. So bear with me.

A few weeks ago (probably longer, sometimes my memory is bad) I was talking with a good friend of mine. This is a friend that loves country music, (which tends to be rare in Utah) that even took me to a country concert to see Sugarland..(which was awesome, (and my comment was taken wayyyyy out of context! I loved everything--the concert, the "couple," the drunk girl, the rain, and our seats. REALLY)) and as we were talking, he told me he wished his life could be like the country song "Back to December." ME TOO! All the country songs. Because I'm a sap. But his was about wishing a former love could realize how great he was to her (which is totally legit and not conceited  and I wish I could tell you how he's completely justified, but I don't know how he'll feel about me talking about him in this blog...let alone the really personal things he's done.)

Then, a few days ago, I was talking with another friend on our way back from Salt Lake, and he said how he wished his life could be like a country song! (Why are all my friends so attractive? #agirlcan'tgetthetimeofday) But, in a slightly more shallow sense, this song, which I agreed I wished my life could be like, is called Kissed You (Good Night). Now, it's not necessarily about the lyrics, but the concept. Over the course of my dating life, I have kissed my share of boys (by that I mean, I haven't kissed any boys. Ever. Daddy, I'm still your little girl) and have also had my share of failed attempts. And for the purposes of this post, I did go back and count, and I have denied about 17 (?) boys. I may have missed a couple no-namers, but you get the gist. (side note, the number of boys I have denied exceeds the number I have kissed. Now stop guessing. Because it's zero.)  WHAT THE HECK?! This is not about self infatuation, but if anything, about deprecation. Not cool guys. And these are not stemmed from misread signals (mostly) but from going on a date (sometimes) and sitting, talking, with a good feet between us, and he suddenly pounces! I'm like, "woah homeboy, back up!"

So, I guess there is a lesson here: DON'T NINJA KISS!

And even with boys I did kiss back, some of them were really great, but many of them lacked ...passion? for lack of a better word. Obviously I was attracted to the boys I kissed, and I wanted to kiss them, and one time a boy I was seeing kissed me in the rain (super cute) and kissing is great, (bad. don't kiss people.) but whenever I'm dating a boy, the kiss always comes at the same time. We'll go on a couple dates, we'll like each other, be gazing deeply into each other's eyes, slowly moving closer, making the triangle (eyes lips eyes, eyes lips eyes) and then, boom! Fireworks! Its all great, it's what's expected...but sometimes I just wish...he wouldn't kiss me. When the chemistry is explosive, when the moment is perfect, the temptation is there, I wish he wouldn't do it. Think of the tension, how sweet that long waited kiss will be! I don't know, maybe I'm a nut. But sometimes, I just want to wonder--are you gonna kiss me or not?

PS. the title of this blog had nothing to do with the post, but I was recently introduced to the band "The Airborne Toxic Event," and they are fantastic. I'm slightly obsessed. Sometime Around Midnight

No comments:

Post a Comment