Monday, November 26, 2012

I thank the Lord for tender mercies

Story time. I spent the last week in Colorado with my family for Thanksgiving (which was beyond wonderful, by the way.) Then, sadly, Sunday comes around and it's time to drive back to Provo. dragging our feet, begrudgingly we packed up our stuff and hugged our family goodbye. Two hours into the 6 hour drive, the car starts shaking and dies in the middle of an intersection in po-dunk Monticello, Utah. Let's be real for a hot second: the only redeeming thing about Monticello is the temple there. And down part of one road it has some really cute street lamps. That's pretty much it.

So the car is dead, and my sister Angela and I get out and push the car to the shoulder as my sister Rachel steers. (I really thought pushing a car would be harder. I knew all those years (not) of working out would pay off one day!) Side note: those who know me know I rarely wear shoes unless I need to. bad day to choose to pack all your boots in the suitcase. Anyways, we all get in the car, Rachel is calling our dad, trying to come up with any solution, not even knowing what was wrong with the car, when a large white suburban pulls up in front of us. An older man in a suit (he was just getting back from a stake presidency meeting) gets out and asks if we need any help. He then precedes to check out the car, trying to see what the issue is. When he discovers the transmission had blown(?), he goes home, changes, brings back a truck with a trailer on the back, and tows our car to a lot he owns, where he says we can keep it until we come back down for Christmas. As if that wasn't enough, then that kind man offers to A. drive us back to Cortez to meet my parents (a little town about an hour from my house), 2. drive us to Moab or Green River, (21-2 hours closer to Provo) to meet up with someone who could take us the rest of the way, and D. let us drive his suburban the rest of the way to Provo. (+ 10 points to whoever understands my movie reference.) When he saw my sister's uncertainty about driving his vehicle, he assured her that it is just a thing and that we are treasured daughters of God and we are what's important, not his car. My eyes tear up just typing this. Sweetest man in the entire world! So after conferring with my father, we decided to take the man's car, so his wife brings it over, full of gas, and they tell us they will just come pick it up later this week on their way to Idaho. Wonder of wonder, miracle of miracles. My heart is so full with gratitude for this man and his family and their kindness.

As we are driving back, Rachel is discussing how the cost of fixing the car ought to be a minimum of $2,000 dollars (so said the man) and how stressed that made her, because obviously she needs a car. Then today, she tells me the man had his mechanic friend look over it and it was only in fact going to cost $200 dollars. He is driving it up to switch with his car this week. The most Christ-like people can be found in even the most remote places. I am so incredibly thankful for his compassion. Let us all keep in mind what's important. Things come and go. They break and often eventually stop working. But the impression you can make on a person's life can last forever. I know God is watching over all of us, and I know that He sends us miracles when we need them.

1 comment:

A GAL NEEDS... said...

Great story of a wonderful man who is a true disciple of the Savior.

Post a Comment