Friday, November 2, 2012

it's time for another good idea, bad idea

LESSON 7: REALLY GOOD (and bad) DATES

First of all, if you understood the reference of the title of this blog (for which, I take no credit, it's all WB copywrited) make note of your superiority to the deprived kids who didn't have a childhood. In the nicest way possible. If you didn't, here's a link. You probably never went to Disneyland either.

Alright, I guess it's time for a little personal experience. I give all this advice about dating, and you may ask from time to time, "how does she know that? Where do these ideas come from?" Well, I mentioned before that I have been on a monumental amount of first dates, (and I'm still single? It must be them...) and while I've had some real doozies, I've also had some of the most awesome first dates that you all will surely be jealous of. Like that time a boy took me skydiving for a date. Nbd. However, the details of that date will not be included in this session. Sorry.

Now, let's discuss good date ideas vs bad ones. These are gems I've been on.

GOOD IDEA: Asking her what she likes to do, her interests, etc. and plan a date accordingly.

About this time last year, I was dating a boy. (Are you shocked? Because that's rude.) He was not only the funniest person I had ever talked to, but he was also the sweetest. All of our dates were awesome, but for the purposes of this blog, I'll keep it to one story. Now, over the course of seeing each other, he had found out these pieces of information about me: I walked to work at the University Mall from King Henry every day, which is about 4.5 miles, because I didn't(/still don't) have a car, I love frozen yogurt, I think all the art in the HFAC at BYU (where we went to church) is junk, and I love country music---One day on our way to Institute, he asked me what kind of music I liked. I told him country. He scoffed and said it was barfy, and asked why I liked it. I told him it just makes me happy, and reminiscent of summers past, and I felt like I could relate. To which he made fun of me and told me the songs were all about beer and tractors. I told him I have a tractor at my house and there is in fact a song called Big Green Tractor by Jason Aldean that is so obviously the story of my life, but for real it is one of my favorite songs.

So one night, he took me on a date to look at the art show that was happening at the museum. We walked around and spent our time making fun of everything, (sorry if you have art there, yes we did realize we were terrible people) and then we went to get fro yo and I got my cookie dough ice cream. So I'm pretty content by this point, because I am a girl of simple pleasures--it really doesn't take much to make me happy, when on our way back, he stops in a big empty parking lot. He drove a standard Jeep, and knew I didn't know how to drive a stick, so he told me he was going to teach me. I get excited, because I love trying new things, and as I sit in the driver seat, he pulls out his iPod, and turns on the Big Green Tractor song. My heart absolutely melted. And then he taught me how to drive a stick shift and told me I could take his Jeep to work because he had another one. Best guy ever, right? I'm pretty sure he's married now, and let me tell you, to a very lucky girl.

BAD IDEA: Not planning a date and being a total conceited butt wipe.

Now some background so y'all can get the full effect: there was a boy in my ward last winter, we'll call him J, who started asking me out in September of last year. Now, I was dating this other boy at the time (Big Green Tractor boy) so obviously I kept turning him down. Then, I still kept turning him down even after me and this other guy broke up, because J was so full of himself it blew my mind. At one point, J calls me and tells me he wants to take me out for some weekend, which I finally agree to, that he then cancels because there was a football game that night and he had season passes, and even though he went to every other game, he felt like he hadn't quite gotten his money's worth so he had to be sure not to miss one single game. Like, really? He asks me out for months and I finally say yes, and then he blows me off for football? Winner. So time passes, and we are still friends-ish, and he calls me one day in February and asks what I'm doing that Tuesday, and I usually had Tuesdays off, and I wasn't about to make up a lie, so I told him nothing. He informed me we were going on a date. I was like, whatever, I guess. So I get ready, and my roommates are all excited and talk about how great it was that I was going out for Valentine's Day. Woahhh, wait, it was Valentine's Day? My hatred for this particular holiday burns with the white hot intensity of a thousand yellow suns, ever since the 3rd grade. But that's another story. So for various reasons, I'm already not stoked on this date, but I resolve to be good company, because it's polite and courteous. He then shows up a half an hour late, (strike 1) and I get in the car, and he says "so, where do you want to go/what do you want to do?" Really, after asking me out for 6 months you didn't plan anything? Strike 2. We eventually decide to go to Texas Road House, and he tells me I can get anything on the menu, because money certainly isn't an issue for him. Okay, first, I'm sorry, but that kind of thing doesn't work on me anyways, shallow boy, and second of all, if you're going to try to boast about how fabulously wealthy you are, at least take a girl somewhere nice, like Sundance. That is a classy date. Then, for our entire date, he talks about how great and funny and good looking he is. He did not ask about me once, and then he was flirting outrageously with our waitress. At one point I asked if she wanted to sit down and take my place, and the two of them could have this date (which would have been a valid option, honestly, I'd be glad to get out.) Strike 3. Game over buddy. I ate as fast as I could and made him drive me home and told him I didn't want to go out ever again. Sadly enough, this isn't the worst date I've ever been on.

Moral of these stories: some guys are really awesome and want to take you out on super magical (I know, I'm a sap,) dates that you'll never forget because they are so wonderful and want to make you happy. Gentlemen, be like that. You will win hearts far and wide. Plus, every girl deserves to be treated like a princess. Ladies, those are the boys worth your time. Remember when President Uchtdorf said:

Be strong and of good courage. You are truly royal spirit daughters of Almighty God. You are princesses, destined to become queens. Your own wondrous story has already begun. Your “once upon a time” is now.

Be worthy of your happily ever after, and you'll find someone that will give it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment